Microfiche Scanning and Conversion
Microfiche conversion is another service we offer here at Pearl Scan legal to help companies in the legal sector to digitise their files and documents and benefit from saved space, time and costs.
In the past, using microfiche to store documents was the perfect way to store data but, in this increasingly digital age, the microfiche and its reader has become increasingly redundant and, as a result, more expensive to use. More and more companies are turning to scanning services to digitise their microfiche for cheaper storage and easier access to important legal files.
Here at Pearl Scan Legal, we can scan your microfiche at an affordable price while retaining excellent quality images. Once your microfiche have been scanned and digitised, we can deliver your digital documents on a range of mediums including CD and USB or we can host your documents on our online system, Pearl Cloud Legal.
Types of Microfiche?
These are the types of Microfiche scanning services that we offer at Pearl Scan Legal.
- 16 mm. and 35 mm. Microfiche
- COM Microfiche (Computer Output Microfiche)
- COMBI (Combined) Microfiche
- 16 & 35 mm. Microfiche
16 mm and 35 mm Microfiche
- Used to archive A3/A4 documents
- 6 x 4 inches in size
- Can contain 60 pages per microfiche
- Often used to archive large engineering plans, construction plans and newspapers
COM Microfiche (Computer Output Microfiche)
The word COM Microfiche comes from the abbreviation of Computer Output Microfilm (COM), this type of microfiche is one of the most common. Specialised equipment produce these microfiche and read the data in a print format then burn that data via laser. Standard microfiche are either 42 or 48X which equates to 208 or 270 pages of data respectively.
Computer Output Microfilm (COM Microfiche) technology has been around since the 70's and is still used today but more commonly by organizations who need to store payroll, accounting, insurance, inventory, or employee data.
Main Characteristics of COM Microfiche:
- Computer Output to Microfiche.
- Used in a corporate environment to store and archive mainframe or computer generated reports and data.
- Widely used in the vehicle manufacturing industry to archive large vehicle parts lists and drawings.
- 6 x 4 inches in size.
- Contains up 270 pages per microfiche.
COMBI (Combined) Microfiche
Combined or COMBI are microfiche that contain a mixture of 16mm and 35mm images. COMBI microfiche are used mainly for mixed types of documents mounted or printed into an A4 size fiche.
Main Characteristics of COMBI Microfiche:
- Contains both 16mm and 35mm images.
- Mainly used in the building industry and local authorities.
- 6 x 4 inches in size.
- Contains mixture of A3/A4 drawings and plans.
If you would like some more information about microfiche scanning, visit our microfiche scanning blog.
Benefits of Scanning Microfiche
- Eliminate the costs of finding equipment to view and read the microfiche.
- You will save space when you no longer need to store hardcopy microfiche in boxes cluttering up offices.
- Save time now you only need to type a quick search into your computer rather than searching through boxes of microfiche.
- With saved time, money and space, you can work more efficiently.
- Secure your documents for future use once the microfiche and readers become completely redundant.
- Your documents will be more secure when they can be password protected and encrypted.
- Access your documents from anywhere, at any time.